February 1, 2021
MCPS and Blair High School are excited to announce that registration for Fall Sports is now open! Below is information regarding the upcoming Fall Sports season, as well as the registration process. Additional information can be found in this memo from MCPS regarding the return to athletics.
How to Register
Students must be registered by a parent/guardian through the MCPS ParentVue Portal. More information regarding the registration process can be found in this letter from MCPS. Registration will remain open through February 22, 2021. Registration will close after this date to allow our Athletics staff with the opportunity to group students appropriately and for coaches and schools to plan program operations.
Steps for Registering via ParentVue
- Login to MCPS ParentVue Portal
- Locate “Online Registration” in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- You should then see prompts to enter information for the “2020-2021 HS Athletics Registration – Fall”.
If you see something for “Annual Verification” or “Resume Annual Registration”, please click the “Start Over” button, logout and log back in, this should then allow you to access the Athletic Registration.
- The Athletics Registration screens will have you verify information in the system and then allow you to review and complete the Athletics Registration forms.
If any of the information appearing on the “Family” or “Parent/Guardian” information screens is incorrect, please contact the School Registrar to have this corrected before completing your registration.
ParentVue Troubleshooting Information
If a parent is having trouble logging into the MCPS ParentVue Portal:
- If you have never activated your parent account:
Parents were sent activation information at the beginning of the school year, which included an Activation Key. If you still have this information, use it to activate your parent account. If you do not have the activation information, email Blair Athletic Director, Rita J. Boulé. Be sure to include the student name, ID and parent name in the email. You can also call the Main Office at Blair at 301-649-2800 during normal office hours.
- Forgot your password? Click on the Forgot Password link on the ParentVue Portal.
- Forgot the email address you used to activate your account? Email Blair Athletic Director, Rita J. Boulé. Be sure to include the student name, ID and full parent name in the email.
- Need help activating your ParentVue account? Go to the ParentVue information page on the MCPS website. See section “For Parents” on bottom right. This includes multiple languages.
Students should complete their pre-participation physical (MCPS Form SR-8) so that the medical eligibility form and COVID pre-participation form (last two pages of SR-8) is ready for online submission or for submission to the athletic director prior to tryouts/practices. Physicals are valid for one calendar year. Note: This is a change from the policy during the virtual engagement in the first semester. At that time, physicals were valid for two years. A partial list of Clinics that offer Sports Physicals within the Montgomery County area is available online, including the Care for Kids program through Montgomery County. Physicals can be uploaded by the parent during the registration process. However, if a parent needs to submit a physical after the student has already been registered, email an electronic copy of the pre-participation physical (MCPS Form SR-8) to Blair Athletic Director, Rita J. Boulé.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the timeline for the start of sports?
Registration will open on January 29th. While the state of Maryland’s Fall “season” will begin on February 13th, MCPS will enter into a phase of educating stakeholders at that time, as we prepare for potential in-person operations. A preliminary framework of operations will be provided by February 13th, and a confirmed operations plan will be provided by February 23, 2021. The fall season, per the Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association (MPSSAA) calendar, runs from February 13 through April 17, 2021 (the start date for the MCPS fall season is projected to be February 27, 2021 if health metrics allow).
What is the MCPS policy on participation by coaches and/or students in in-person activities?
In-person programming will be optional for coaches and student-athletes. As a result, program offerings will be school and team-specific, depending on the selection of coaches and the interest of student-athletes. Program operations will be confirmed in the coming weeks, as schools finalize their options and registrations are received from student-athletes.
Does this mean we will definitely start in-person activities?
All in-person programming and activities would only be conducted in alignment with guidelines and protocols designated by the COVID-19 Task Force for MCPS Athletics. Such guidelines are included in the Return to R.A.I.S.E. Strategic Plan, and comply with guidelines and recommendations released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE), Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association (MPSSAA), and Montgomery County.
Will we have contests and games?
It is important to note that in-person programming will begin with conditioning and skills-based practices/tryouts, which must occur for a minimum of 20 calendar days (starting with the first practice) prior to any contests or competition, per MPSSAA regulations. Competition and contests will only occur with the approved recommendations of the COVID-19 Task Force for MCPS Athletics. Activities will be conducted in-person to the extent possible throughout the semester.
What if a coach opts not to return to in-person activities?
As stated above, in-person participation is optional for all coaches (and students). If a coach opts not to participate in in-person activities, the school will offer virtual activities during the season. Students who register for a sport that is not being offered in-person will be contacted by February 23, 2021.
What if a student wants to participate, but the student and the parent/guardian do not opt for in-person activities?
Blair will only offer virtual activities if the coach opts not to participate in-person. For coaching staffs that have more than one coach, it is possible that Blair will offer both in-person and virtual activities if all the coaches do not opt to participate in-person.
What adjustments will be made to operations based on COVID-19?
The following resources are available for students and parents/guardians regarding the operations of the MCPS athletics program. All documents, information, and guidance are subject to change, based on the ever-changing dynamics of COVID-19.
- Second Semester Plan – provides an overview of the second semester of operations.
- Return to R.A.I.S.E. Strategic Plan – provides the operating procedures and protocol that will be used during the fall season. This is a fluid document and will be updated, as guidelines and recommendations change.
- Return to R.A.I.S.E. Video – this video provides an overview of the protocol and procedures in the Return to R.A.I.S.E. Strategic Plan. The video was filmed in late-October–guidelines and procedures may change, per state and local recommendations.
- COVID-19 Athletics Information Webpage – all information regarding the return of in-person programming is available here; updates will continue to be posted on this site.
Rita J. Boulé, CAA
Montgomery Blair High School